This blackberry soda is so yummy and refreshing. Don't you love recipes that are so versatile that you can do about a bazillion different things with them? Homemade syrups are so easy to make and have many uses. You can make syrups to flavor coffee, go over ice cream, top your pancakes, drizzle over fruit .... seriously, syrups are amazing. Plus, you can make them in just about any flavor. Today I'm talking about how to make blackberry syrup and use it to make homemade blackberry soda. Whenever I am making homemade iced tea or lemonade, I like to use simple syrup to sweeten everything up. Simple syrup is made by combining equal parts sugar and water over medium heat on the stove. I like to use simple syrup instead of plain sugar because the sweetness is evenly distributed through your drink instead of just sinking to the bottom.Make sure to follow my Pinterest board for more fun drink ideas!
Homemade Blackberry Soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz. blackberries
- sparkling water
- Combine the sugar and water in heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil and add the blackberries.
- Allow the syrup to cook for about 5 minutes or until it covers the back of a spoon.
- Allow the syrup to cool and then strain into a container.
- Add ice to a glass along with 2 tablespoons (or desired amount) of the blackberry syrup.
- Top with the sparkling water and stir gently.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and fresh blackberries.